Bison Bling! part 2

Since the last post I have done some work on the bison scan.  I did a lot of cleanup and detailing in Zbrush to try and bring the scan back to being similar to the original sculpture.

My first attempt at printing was done at low resolution so that I could figure out what is working and what wasn’t working with the model. I am also testing a new filament made from recycled potato chip bags, so I am still trying to get my printer honed in with that.

image

I noticed immediately that I would need to beef up the horns as they came out rather flat. Also, compared to my model I lost a lot of the fur texture. In Zbrush I came back and added in detail and exaggerate the details so that it would come out normal in the print.

image

This is the bison fresh off the printer. I am pretty happy with the results of it so far. I still need to address the horns. They have a pretty steep overhang and I am most likely just not putting enough supports in.

image

image

 

image

image

image

Here are a few side by side comparison of the first model compared to the second model.

image

and here is a comparison of the print to the bison is was scanned from! More to come later.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s